The Director represents the Department and chairs the Council. The Executive ensures the respective resolutions are carried out. The Director is responsible for the Department’s level of research, the standard of teaching together with the so-called "third mission"; in relation to this, it can appoint its own delegate with specific tasks.
The Director appoints at least two Deputy Directors of the Department and assigns the role of Deputy Director to the Deputy Director of Teaching or to the Deputy Director of Research.
The Department Council is the Department’s planning and management body. It approves the objectives, the evaluation criteria and the three-year plan. It divides the recruitment needs into different scientific sectors and annually plans the recruitment needs for new professors, lecturers, researchers and technical-administrative staff to ensure the development of research projects and the range of courses, as well as the financial needs connected to them. It organizes and manages not only the research and teaching activities but also the teaching staff and researchers involved.
Professors and (temporary and permanent) researchers of the Department are voting members of the Council.
Moreover, the following members are elected:
- a number of technical-administrative delegates corresponding to the 25% of the Department teaching staff (professors and reasearchers), or the whole technical-administrative staff if its number is less than the 25% of the teaching staff;
- a number of delegates of PhD students working at the Department, corresponding to 1/3 of the total number of PhD students, provided that it is less than the 10% of the Department teaching staff; in case of consortium PhD programs, eligible PhD students must be formally associate of the Department;
- a number of temporary collaborators delegates, corresponding to 1/3 of them, provided that it is less than the 20% of the Department teaching staff;
- number of delegates of students enrolled at degree and master ("specialistica" or "magistrale") degree courses, provided that it is not less than the 15% of the number of Council members.
The Department Board supports the Director, makes proposals and carries them through.
The Director, Deputy Directors for Research andTeaching Affairs, the Administrative Manager, with the role of Committee secretary, are ex-officio members of the Executive Committee.
Moreover, the following members are elected
- 9 members, among wich 3 full professors, 3 associate professors, and 3 researchers;
- a number of technical-administrative delegates correspnding to the 10% of the technical- administrative staff, and in any case not higher than 3, representing education, management, technical-scientific now-how, declared at candidacy time.
The Commissions for Teaching and for Research are also established within the Department.